Today I had another post planned. But anything else that I could have written about seems so trivial now.
I’m sure none of us could have imagined the horror of what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown, CT today. We all send our kids to school, believing it to be a safe place where kids can learn and grow. Now, so many families’ children and the adults who worked to teach them are dead. Our thoughts are with those families. What a terrible day.
Eight children die from gun violence every day in America. We must come together to do more to protect each other and our children.
So hug your kids. And a teacher. We talk an awful lot about teacher effectiveness. But leaving that aside, most teachers teach because they really love kids. And I don’t personally know a single teacher who wouldn’t have done exactly what those heroes at Sandy Hook Elementary did….try to tackle an armed gunman, shield their students’ bodies with their own, hide their students and sacrifice their own lives instead. So hug a teacher too, won’t you?
- Gunman, child dead in Connecticut elementary school shooting (kmov.com)
- How Will NRA Explain Away Gun Shooting At Elementary School In Newtown, Connecticut? (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Connecticut Elementary School Shooting (wctv.tv)
- 26 dead after gunman assaults Connecticut elementary school, official says (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- 27 dead, including 18 kids, in Connecticut school shooting (theprovince.com)